Search

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I've Got Great News!

The April edition of National Geographic arrived today in my mailbox!  As always, I am super-excited to pick it up, and see what new things I can learn.  However, when I saw a mammoth on the front cover today, I had a feeling I would be able to connect mammoths to elephants, and would be able to write about it on my blog!  And sure enough, I am going to write about it! 





National Geographic's April Issue, "Reviving Extinct Species," features an article that I found particularly interesting and clarifying.  "Hunting for mammoth tusks."  Even though mammoths have not lived for thousands of years, some of their bodies- and tusks- are still preserved.  Below is a picture of a mammoth tusk that has been frozen in a Siberian riverbed for thousands of years.  Amazing!


For me, this article was, as I said, clarifying.  When my family and I visited some ivory shops in San Francisco there was often a small portion of the shop dedicated to mammoth ivory.  However, I found that strange as I knew mammoths had been extinct for thousands of years.  When I read this article, it all made sense!  Mammoth tusks are more common than you would think.  They can be found where the creatures used to roam such as northern Siberia.  The tusks are now being exposed to humans because of global warming, the melting of the ice there.  





Go make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment