Search

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Not So Amusing After All!

In November of 2012, I went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, California with my awesome friends!  I had a blast!  One of my favorite parts of our trip was getting to see the elephants there, close up.  Today, though, I found an article from IDA (In Defense of Animals), listing the top ten worst elephant homes in captivity.  First one on the nationwide list: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Vallejo, California.




Top Ten Worst Zoos for Elephants in 2007


 1. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Vallejo, Calif.)  
Discovering the cruelty. For the fourth consecutive year, Six Flags lands on the list thanks to its history of terrible elephant care and disregard for the health and well-being of seven elephants forced to live in the shadow of roller coaster rides, amidst noisy, rowdy crowds. Nine elephants have died at the amusement park since 1995, including five elephants who were euthanized as a direct result of the same foot and joint disorders that afflict at least two elephants currently, painful ailments caused by the elephants’ cramped and barren exhibit. An IDA investigation revealed that elephants with diseased feet and joints are forced to stack 600-pound logs and perform in shows for the public, despite their afflictions. To force the elephants to perform and give rides, Six Flags coercively controls elephants through force and physical punishment with a bullhook, a device similar to a fireplace poker that keepers use to poke, prod and stab the elephants into compliance.
Click here for my post in November about my interaction with the Six Flags elephants.
How do you feel about large animals being kept in captivity in spall spaces?  How do you feel they should be treated?
P.S. Thank you Cristina, Becca, Sara for taking me on my first roller coaster ever!  And thanks to Nicole E. for documenting the trip with your camera! I love you all!

Go make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment