Search

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Foreign Service


January 12, 2013

Dear Ambassador Locke,

Happy New Year!  Thank you so much for your service to our country as U.S. Ambassador to China. 

I am writing to you regarding my concern about the dramatic increase in ivory smuggling to China. I am sure you are aware of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s speech (11/8/12) about wildlife trafficking and the demand for ivory and other endangered species’ smuggling.

According to the National Geographic “Blood Ivory” article (October 2012), China has the highest demand for ivory in the world.  As the poaching continues, the smuggling increases, along with the demand by the ever-growing population in China, and the elephant population is facing a real crisis!

The more research I do, the more I understand what an enormous and complicated problem this is.  And this is why I am writing to you to offer my help. 

Please let me know how readers of my blog and I can assist your Embassy team to defend against smuggling and decrease the demand for ivory in your host country.  I know we can make a difference!


Thank you,

Ella Warburg




Go make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment