Search

Monday, January 7, 2013

Where The Tokyo Fish Market Meets The Tanzania Savanna






If you know me well, you know that my favorite food of all time is sushi.  As long as I can remember, I have loved it.  However, when I heard about the new record set for the sale of a single Bluefin Tuna, I thought about this blog.  

What do elephants and a high priced fish have in common?

Well, this tuna sold for an extravagant amount- $1,760,000!  Also, there aren't really catch limits to regulate the numbers and size of Bluefin caught.  Sound familiar?  From 2006 to 2011, the price of ivory in China has tripled, explaining the increase in poached ivory around the world.

When a rare commodity like ivory or rhino horn or Bluefin Tuna become less available, we humans must choose between protecting the species that remain or consuming it ourselves- before it's gone- as a luxury prize.

I personally believe it's wrong to treat parts of endangered animals like status symbols.

So, what's a sushi lover to do?  The Monterey Bay Aquarium can answer that question!  
Click here for their awesome seafood guide for your region of the country!  

Don't worry, you can love elephants and eat your sushi too!

Yay!



Go make a difference!


No comments:

Post a Comment